Tuesday, January 1, 2013

day one + acts of kindness continue

a good start to the new year.

lots of playing and tickling in the morning with malena.

my first 3 miler of the year - look out 5k/10k, i am coming for you this year.

 we finally got time to play with some of our christmas presents,very fun.

as part of documenting this year, there were two things (in addition to others) that i wanted to do this year.

the first is to write down memories throughout the year and put them into a jar, and on new year's eve this year, i will pull out all of the memories and read them (rheta - i got this idea from one of your fb posts, xo). i found the perfect glass jar when i was at target the other day and it will sit on our kitchen counter so it is easy to see and is in the part of the house where we spend most of our time. it won't get a memory added every day (or maybe it will), i have set no rules for myself other than to add a memory (and encourage others to) when i choose to. i want the jar to represent moments big and small - all important - through 2013. today resulted in the first piece of paper added to the jar. love the beginning of a new tradition.

the second is to work on (if not finish) the book that i bought for malena and told you about in november. i have made a pact with myself. everytime i make a card in my craft room this year, i will fill out at least one prompt in the book. i started today, and with only three entries in, i was already emotional about it. big surprise (not). i am just so excited about how special this book will be for her. all of my words that she will one day read. the information she will learn about me and my wishes for her, in my own words, in my own writing, for her to always have. i am so thankful i crossed paths with this book.

regarding the acts of kindness, i have more wonderful acts to share:

+++ beth's act was dedicated to chase kowalski. beth donated money to evelyn sherman, a 3 year old with kidney disease who needs a transplant to save her life. her father is a small business owner and he is her donor. in honor of chase beth's money will go to saving the life of another innocent child.

+++ kerry's act was dedicated to caroline previdi. kerry sent me the following update:
"I learned Caroline Previdi, 6, loved to dance and was known for always making others smile. In honor of Caroline, I made a donation to the Dizzy Feet foundation. It's an organization that supports, improves, and increases access to dance education in the United States. http://dizzyfeetfoundation.org/about
July 27, 2013 is the next National Dance day. I plan to participate and get others to join
me in honor of Caroline." kerry is an awesome dancer, so i have no doubt she will be dancing
on july 27th.

+++ doreen's act was dedicated to mary sherlach. doreen sent me an update that her and her
husband charlie made a “donation to Open House Ministries in Vancouver WA.
They take in disadvantage families (with children--often from parents that were recently
released from incarceration) and work with them to rehabilitate them into the community.
They provide housing, help them with skills and finding a job. They keep these families for
sometimes a year or more and then get them into subsistance housing once they have
jobs and are ready for re-entry. This ministry is full of compassion and care.
Their primary goal is to stop the cycle and give the children of these families a chance. 
I also stopped at CVS pharmacy to pick up something for Charlie and as I was checking out,
a homeless lady was right outside the door. I pulled the cash out of my wallet and gave it to
her. She wasn't begging but I just stopped and thought again of the precious lives of those
children the world lost. As the poor lady saw me just empty my wallet, she just started
crying and told me thank you.”

+++ abby's acts were dedicated to madeleine hsu and jack pinto, and her
family made a donation to the ‘Newtown Youth & Family Services’ that is hosting
support groups and therapists to assist surviving families and victims with the counseling
they will need in the upcoming days ahead.

there are still more updates to come. i am not surprised by all of the amazing acts of kindness because i know how kind and generous my friends and families are. i continue to very touched and inspired by the kindness and good we have sent out in the world.

helpers, i love you.



1 comment:

  1. Alli,
    Let me know if there are any of the 26 acts left to be done. I plan to make 2 donations through donorschoose.org this week and would be happy to tie them to the 26 acts.

    ReplyDelete