Sunday, January 13, 2013

living in the "tomorrow"

"But understand this: my commitment to living in the now means
I'll never ever say that I've beaten cancer.
To do so would be living in the "tomorrow," if you will,
and melanoma is far too erratic an opponent to go around making predictions.
But I can tell you for sure that I'll never give in to it.
Life is too precious to give it up
without giving everything you've got -- now."
Dr. Jack Ramsay
 
i saw this quote on adventures with my enemy melanoma today and it seemed appropriate for this post. scan day. here we are again.
 
this weekend i kept myself very busy doing a ton of things, and that was very intentional on my part. i didn't want down time, i didn't want time to sit idle and think. the reason is obvious, i wanted to distract myself as much as possible - but even in the midst of the busy, monday and especially tuesday have been looming the entire time.
 
as predicted on friday, our weekend included: a post-holiday party at a place in seattle i had never been to before (one of my goals of the new year is to explore new places as much as possible) + my mom's awesome cinnamon swirl french toast + shopping with my mom and scoring some awesome deals + lunch at "chicken robin" + making creme brulee and it tasting so good (yes, i did it!!!! more on that to come) + making dijon parmesan chicken/asparagus/parmesan red potatos/great bread with my mom = really good dinner and kitchen fun with my mom + seahawks playoff party + good brunch + mimosas + a great run on a beautiful winter day + watching malena fall asleep and wishing with all of my heart that we could stay frozen in that exact moment forever.
 
please send good thoughts out to my friend greta, she is having her next round of melanoma scans in new jersey today. the chances of us both having our scans on the same day on other sides of the country is slim (her husband wallace did the math). i choose to believe the math means good chances for both of us.
 
have a good monday everyone, i hope your day is a great one. xo.


3 comments:

  1. The Irish from Minnesota send you the very best Irish blessings. The Kevin Sheehan clan, plus Sue and Brian, and sometimes Mike. :-) May God go with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where does the day go? Just logging into FB and then your blog.....while your day is near to evening, just know that my thoughts are with you. Saying a little prayer (can't dance and my singing is even worse) for a good outcome. You are so much more frequently in our (Charlie and me) thoughts than you will ever know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...I forgot to mention. We received the Christmas card we sent you, Apparently, I have the wrong address? So, you thought the holidays were over? Please send me your correct address at my email account so I can "resend". doreenpatt@gmail.com
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete